i2c v. SMbus

Hello,

I came across your name while researching the i2c and
SMbus architecture.  If you have a few moments to
spare of your precious time I would really appreciate
it.  Could you clear up a few questions for me?  Here
they are:

  1.)  I notice that most of the i2c programs
       I run into connect to an external eeprom
       through the laptop serial or parallel port.

       But what if I want to read an Eeprom on my
       own laptop.  That is, the one connected to
       the internal SMbus, is this possible?

  2.)  Do I have to do the i2c start, stop, etc?

  3.)  What I/O address do I use?  With
       the aforementioned i2c programs they use
       the serial port with address 0xF8.  So
       what would be the address for the Eeprom
       on the SMbus?

  4.)  Is the I/O address of the SMbus and Eeprom
       itself the same on both Linux and Windows
       based systems?

  5.)  What are the I/O address of both on Windows?

  6.)  What if I wanted to write a DOS based program?

  7.)  Any simple code examples you could share?

Thanks for your help,

-M-