adt7463 on asus w1n laptop

> >It doesn't seem to set fan speed at a low rpm (not less than 3000 rpm,
> > that's too fast) as i expected, but it might be due to my inappropriate
> > settings... Actuall i read this document :
> >http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/chips/lm85
> >but did not understand a lot of it...
> I'm sorry.  Is there any particular section that was confusing?  What
> could I explain better?

Well, "i" am sorry, i read the document about lm85 chip and i may not have
enough technical knowledges to understand how to give the right parameters
in /etc/sensors.conf
This is the intersting part of this file (in the lm85 and co section) :

set pwm1_zone 123
set pwm1_min_ctl 0
set pwm1_min 0

set temp1_min 20
set temp1_max 60       # dothan's max temp is actually around 100?C
set temp2_min 10
set temp2_max 45
set temp3_min 10
set temp3_max 45

If i run "sensord -i 1m -l 30m", i read this in /var/log/syslog :
Error getting sensor data: adt7463/fan1_tach_mode: Can't access procfs/sysfs
file

I get the same message in /var/log/syslog if put this line
in /etc/sensors.conf:

set fan1_tach_mode 0

I can't understand that... Actually this may be the reason why the fan doesn't
seem to follow the policy i give him in /etc/sensors.conf, as i told before.

> >In spite of my settings the fan1_pwm is always at a minimum of 127, which
> >means a little more than 3000 rpm. Quite noisy and "energy-consuming". I
> > can only set fan to a lower velocity (around 1800 rpm) with this command
> > : echo 77 > fan1_pwm (for example)
> >Actually when cpu is very busy, cpu temperature increases and fan speed
> > also. When cpu is less busy,  cpu temperature decreases and fan speed
> > also, but never below 3000 rpm which corresponds to fan1_pwm=127. Never
> > less than 127, except if i set it by myself.
> >In spite of my "set pwm1_zone 123" setting, fan speed does not increase
> > when zone 3 has an increase in temperature : zone 3 seems to be the gpu,
> > because it gets very hot when i use opengl with a game or a screensaver.
> >That's a problem because if gpu temperature gets too high, that doesn't
> > smell good.
> Is this a 2.4 or a 2.6 kernel?

The kernel is 2.6.8.1 with a patch for quirks.c to detect the adt7463 chip on
my asus w1n laptop.

> Can you send the current values of all your current settings by running
> something like:
>    head /proc/sys/dev/sensors/adt7463*/*

No sensors directory in /proc/sys/dev/ ! Shall i recompile again with some
other options ?

> which will work on 2.4.  If you're using 2.6, you'll need to do
> something similar in /sys

Ah ! OK so here is what i get if i run "head /sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-002e" :

==> alarms <==
394

==> detach_state <==
0

==> fan1_input <==
0

==> fan1_min <==
500

==> fan1_pwm <==
0

==> fan1_pwm_enable <==
1

==> fan2_input <==
0

==> fan2_min <==
0

==> fan2_pwm <==
255

==> fan2_pwm_enable <==
1

==> fan3_input <==
0

==> fan3_min <==
0

==> fan3_pwm <==
255

==> fan3_pwm_enable <==
1

==> fan4_input <==
0

==> fan4_min <==
0

==> in0_input <==
0

==> in0_max <==
1576

==> in0_min <==
1419

==> in0_ref <==
1850

==> in1_input <==
1207

==> in1_max <==
1945

==> in1_min <==
1758

==> in2_input <==
3369

==> in2_max <==
3472

==> in2_min <==
3128

==> in3_input <==
3281

==> in3_max <==
5260

==> in3_min <==
4740

==> in4_input <==
0

==> in4_max <==
12625

==> in4_min <==
11375

==> name <==
adt7463

==> power <==
head: Erreur lors de la lecture `power': Is a directory

==> temp1_input <==
54000

==> temp1_max <==
60000

==> temp1_min <==
30000

==> temp2_input <==
48000

==> temp2_max <==
50000

==> temp2_min <==
20000

==> temp3_input <==
48000

==> temp3_max <==
50000

==> temp3_min <==
20000

91

I thought that the the chip itself could handle fan speed according to
temperatures. Shall i use fancontrol instead ?

Thank you.