new bus driver

The schematic linked below looks sane to me but I would recommend using
a 3.3V equivalent to the MAX232. For example MAX3222E.

Most parts these days use 3.3V supplies so you can power both
the 232 driver and the i2c chip with the same supply.

If you do use the 5V version of the circuit, be sure the i2c chips you plan to talk to are 5V tolerant.
Should be, since the i2c pins are open drain, but check the
datasheet to be sure.

Also, the SDA and SCL pullups are a little weak at 10K.
I would reduce to 3-5K, esp. with a 3.3V VCC.

mds