bt869 driver

On Jan 30, 2005, at 2:07 AM, Jean Delvare wrote:

>> The BT869 seems to fit none of these categories through, seems to be
>> neither a video4linux nor a framebuffer driver from the description,
>> it seems to just export some config stuff via /proc.
>
> I assume you mean the bt869 *driver*, not the BT869 chip. You're right,
> it doesn't follow any standard nor fit in any video subsystem. I think
> it was a hack by Philip Edelbrock to get the things up and working
> quickly. Since he was used to sensor drivers, he naturally wrote the
> bt869 driver in the exact same way.

"Hack"?  Hey, hey!  (Just teasing ;')

Yes, it was a stab at getting the chip working and the lm-sensors
driver architecture fit like a glove to make it work.  Granted its
utility is better fitting in a different project, hopefully a video
related one.

>> What is the point of that driver?
>
> Allow people to configure the chip by writing to procfs. As I
> understand
> it, you can change things like resolution, TV standard, video connector
> and a few other things. The doc here says it all:
> http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/browse.cgi/lm_sensors2/doc/chips/
> bt869

Yes, it provides simple access to the chip's registers to turn video
out 'on' and to tell it the format of data fed to it.

In a nutshell, you set up the video card by getting X going in a
video-compatible mode-line, and then you tell the BT869 the format
(e.g. resolution, broadcast standard, etc.).

The chip is pretty simple.  It's a modulator and outputs video blanking
at the right moments.  It relies on the video card chipset to feed it a
constant stream of data at a compatible resolution and timing for
analog broadcast video.

> I also wonder if the BT869 chip was ever seen on non-banshee/voodoo
> boards.

Yes, I think it's used on GeForce(2/3/4) and TNT(2) cards.  Here's a
list I found.  I'm not sure how current it is:

http://tvtool.cust.nearlyfreespeech.net/cardbase_t.htm

That said, I don't know how many folks are using this driver vs.
something else like nvtv.

Phil