pwmconfig: bug in temporary file creation

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 11:59:57AM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Indeed mktmp seems to be more widely available. Any idea why tempfile
> exists though? I wonder why we have two commands doing basically the
> same thing.
They differs by the fact tempfile uses tempnam(), whereas mktemp uses
mkstemp(). I don't know exactly the difference, but after reading the
manpage, it seems that tempnam() only return a valid filename, whereas
mkstemp() create a file with 0600 permissions, and return its name.

So, it's seems that mkstemp() is more secure, as it is possible to
create a file between the call to tempnam() and actual creation of the
file. However, it's only my interpretation, I am not sure about that.

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno	              GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux developer | Electrical Engineer
 `. `'   aurel32 at debian.org         | aurelien at aurel32.net