what exactly does DISCONNECT mean?

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 06:05:31PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:
> 2* The pins are connected to your CPU socket where they should
> lead to a thermal diode inside the CPU, but either the connection
> is not correct or your CPU lacks the thermal diode.

Based on everything you've said, and some other discussions I've
had, I believe this is the case.  I don't remember if I mentioned
this, but the CPU is an aging Duron 750.

> Unfortunately this has to be a hardware issue: damaged motherboard
> or incompatible CPU. If you have the possibility, try another CPU
> and see what happens. You could additionally report the problem to
> Chaintech and/or the motherboard and CPU vendor(s), in case they
> are aware of the problem.

I don't have any extra CPUs laying around right now, but hopefully
in the not-too-distant future I will.  Either way, I definately
have some more things to look into.

Anyway, thank you very much for your very detailed and thorough
response!  That was way more information than I expected :)  I
really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Matt

--