I2C / LM_SENSORS inquiry

Hello, this I2c / Lm_sensors stuff is pretty interesting so far... I've been
trying to get access to my voodoo3 cards bt869 tv-out functions and
registers.

I'm a little confused to say the least.  I am writing after several attempts
(using many different kernel-sources - both kernel.org sources and
debianized sources - 2.4.27 and 2.6.8 aswell) to get a version of i2c and
lm_sensors up so that I can do the stuff with the voodoo3 cards bt869 chip
that needs to be done to get my desktop at the correct resolution and such
when x starts up. :-) .

I've read the couple of pages that are around on this stuff, but I need
help, I can even get my box up and running with a good kernel / i2c /
lm_sensors mix.

I appreciate that this project is an ongoing effort, thanks a lot for your
hard work.  This stuff is so complicated I don't know how you guys do it.
Good Job to say the least.  I am wondering could you tell me exactly which
kernel I should use for the greatest chance of compatibility with whatever
version of LM_sensors and i2c I should be using to access the voodoo3 and
the bt869?  I've tried doing some research on various sites, your pages are
informative but haven't led me to the point where I can use my voodoo3 on
the tv.  This is very likely my fault, being the super noob that I am.

However I have a couple questions that you might be able to answer,

1)                   patches are offered
(http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/i2c/) for i2c-2.9.0 but the download page
(http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/download.html) does not have
lm_sensors-2.9.0.  Where can I download lm_sensors-2.9.0 ? :-)

2)                   should the kernel sources be from kernel.org or can I
use the apt-get method to grab debianized kernel sources from my apt source?

3)                   which kernel version, when used with a given lm_sensors
and i2c version is best to use for accessing the "registers" on a voodoo3's
bt869 ?

4)                   is there a super noob command by command FAQ that I can
follow (I am interested in learning about this stuff but Id really like it
to work! - chances are I'll do the faq so many times over that it will be
engrained in my brain and I'll be a better user for it!)

5)                   can I donate (money or time or access to my box that
has this hardware) to the i2c / lm_sensors project

Anyways, I look forward to your response, happy holidays ! :-)

Ryan Barrett

ryan at rytechcomputing.ca