Bug #1807: sensors with kernel 2.4, but not with kernel 2.6

Hi again Mark,

>After working on a patch for a bit... now I hate it.  Why does i2c_detect()
>need to work that way?
>
>Back to where I started: anyone mind if I rewrite i2c_detect()?  A grep
>said that drivers/i2c/chips/*.c are the only callers.

Fine with me as long as it is done in a consistent way, and the
documentation is updated accordingly (both writing- and porting-clients).

As a side note, such a change is not suitable for 2.4/CVS, so fixing the
drivers you listed in your other post there is still on the to-do list.

As yet another side note, I have noticed that i2c_detect checks all
addresses from 0 to 0x7f for business before processing them. This
sounds bad in terms of efficiency. The test should be done before
actually attempting to detect chips at any given address.

Thanks,
Jean