smsc47m1 ported to Linux 2.6

Name: warning1.txt
-------------- next part --------------
Jean,

> > The results are attached, including the shell script I used.
> > I sent you the results for fan2, as you asked, and for fan1,
> > because fan2 here appears to be the CPU cooler. Anyway, using
> > fan1 the corresponding fan was stopped at the end of the script.
> > :-)
>
> OK, so it must be working. I should have told you to set the fan
> clock divider to 8 before starting the test, but the results are
> still significant.
>
> I've updated the driver:
> http://khali.linux-fr.org/devel/i2c/linux-2.6/linux-2.6.8-rc2-i2c-smsc47m1-rc1.diff
>
> It should now force the fan speed reading to 0 when PWM is enabled
> with a duty cycle of 0%. So for example the following sequence
> should work fine:
>
> echo 0 > fan1_pwm_enable
> echo 0 > fan1_pwm
> sleep 4
> cat fan1_input (should return 3000 or so)
> echo 1 > fan1_pwm_enable (fan should stop)
> sleep 3
> cat fan1_input (should return 0)
>
> With the previous version if would have returned the last known
> speed or some other random non-zero value (it seems) while the fan
> would clearly be stopped.

	patch -R -p1 beta3.diff
	patch -p1 < rc1.diff
	Worked. Compiled fine.
	The tests above worked, as you can see at attached file (*rc1.txt).

	Just for curiosity I tried to use 90 as fan1_pwm value. I opened the
case to confirm if fan was still running.
	As you will see at *woops.txt (result of woops.sh), I found a
strange behaviour. I don't know if it is important, but I thought you
should know.
	I made another test (attached) trying to help.

> If you confirm that this version of the driver works fine for you,
> I'll submit it for incorporation into Greg's tree.

	I am trying to give you the best information I can, to help as much
as I can, but I am worried about disturbing you a lot.
	I mean, I have never helped testing software like this, so I am
always thinking if I am being a problem more than a helper. :-)

> > Ok. I was just wondering if some strange values could be the
> > result of some interference.
>
> Unless you refer to interference in the designers brains, I don't
> think so ;)

	Hahahahahahahahaha. :-D

> Thanks a lot for testing, it looks like we finally came to a working
> 2.6 driver.

	It is working here. My gkrellm is always showing my fans and voltages
(just vid does not appear there, but it doesn't matter). I am happy.
	I noticed the behaviour above, but I don't know if it is important.
And, anyway, I can turn off my fan. :-)
	As I say, I want to help, but I don't want to disturb you or became a
problem. When you fell it is ready, so it is ready. :-)
	If you need more information, just tell me.
	Thank you for coding the driver.

Cheers,

Cassio Freitas