[Fwd: xeontemp vs. adm1021]

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Philip Edelbrock wrote:

> That's a good question.  It certainly looks as if it is the CPU temp
> since it is quite a bit higher than the board temp.  Strange that the
> two CPU's are so different in temp readings, though.  It's also possible
> that those readings are actually for something else (like the power supply).
>
> What I would try is to load the machine and monitor the temperatures.
> The board temps should rise slowly, but the CPU temps should rise
> quickly.  That should give you a easy and definitive answer in just a
> minute or so.

The cpu temps do rise quickly.. up about 20-25C in 15-20 minutes.
So they are consistent with being cpu's.
The whitebox vendor says that the difference in the 2 cpu temps is
due to different fan arrangements in the box.. i.e.
one heatsink has air blowing right along the heatsink grooves,
the other one has it blowing at a 30 degree angle and is hotter.

Steve