Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 13:27:01 -0500 (CDT)
From: Steven Timm <timm at fnal.gov>
To: frodol at dds.nl, phil at netroedge.com, mdsxyz123 at yahoo.com
Subject: xeontemp vs. adm1021

Hi Guys..

Was reading your documentation at

http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/chips/xeontemp

and

http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/chips/adm1021

My hardware, Supermicro X5DPA-GG motherboard,
dual Xeon 2.66GHz 533 FSB chips,512kb L2 cache
and
dual Xeon 3.06GHz 533 FSB chips,512kb L2 cache

Running kernel 2.4.20-30.7smp from Redhat with
lm_sensors 2.8.3 and i2c 2.8.3 modules loaded over top of it.

In modules.conf
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev

sensors-detect finds the following:
MODULE_0=i2c-i801
MODULE_1=adm1021
MODULE_2=w83781d
MODULE_3=eeprom
MODULE_4=smbus-arp

My question is the following:

The docs on xeontemp which I mention above say that 533 MHz
xeons don't have the external sensor for the die temp.
"unfortunately the 533 MHz FSB Xeons dropped the on-board sensor chip"

but the adm1021 docs say " If you have a Xeon and the adm1021
module loads and both temperatures appear valid, then things are good"

In my case the adm1021 module does load, and I get this:

root at fnpc151 root]# sensors
max1617-i2c-0-18
Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at 0540
Algorithm: Non-I2C SMBus adapter
Board:       +47C  (low  =   -55C, high =  +127C)
CPU:         +53C  (low  =   -55C, high =   +78C)

max1617-i2c-0-1a
Adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at 0540
Algorithm: Non-I2C SMBus adapter
Board:       +48C  (low  =   -55C, high =  +127C)
CPU:         +73C  (low  =   -55C, high =   +78C)

The CPU temperatures go up and down with CPU activity, as
expected.

My question is--is this "CPU" temperature that I am
reading out the temperature of the die?  The vendor
is telling me that it is.  The documentation you have
hints that it should be too, but I am just confused by
the statement that 533MHZ FSB chips don't have this sensor.

At first with lm_sensors 2.6 we did not see the sensor
but once we ran the sensors-detect from lm_sensors 2.8.3
we could see it just fine and it appears to be functioning.

Is this sensor the die temperature?

Thanks for your help.

Steve Timm

[root at fnpc151 root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 3066.856
cache size      : 512 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 1
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 6121.06

processor       : 1

Steven C. Timm, Ph.D  (630) 840-8525  timm at fnal.gov
http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Fermilab Computing Division/Core Support Services Dept.
Assistant Group Leader, Scientific Computing Support Group
Lead of Computing Farms Team