PC87366 with the net4801

As for the main topic, I'm just going to wait until Soekris gets back to me with
some more info before asking for more of your time. :)

On Mon 28 Jun 2004 04:17:43 AM CDT Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> said:
> >I use lm sensors in a fairly specific manner (nagios monitoring). Sensors is
> >run on a regular interval, and the shell script looks something sort of like
> >this:
> >if ( sensors | grep -q ALARM ); then
> >exit $SERVICE_CRITICAL
> >else
> >exit $SERVICE_OK
> >fi
> >
> >This makes things pretty easy assuming the alarms work, so perhaps you can
> see
> >why I would ask such a question :) I do completely understand your
> reasoning,
> >though.
>
> Yeah, I understand what you mean and need.
>
> Anyway, if a specific chip is known to have problems, it's better to fix
> it at the driver level (even if it includes faking hardare alarms in
> software). That way, not every program or script needs to handle it
> specifically.
>
> Also note that the new sysfs interface to hardware monitoring chips has
> been reworked in such a way that scripts should be able to perform any
> kind of tests by themselves. Each sysfs file only contains one integer
> value, so you could easily read a value and its limit, and compare them
> manually if you want to. That said, I insist on the fact that in most
> cases you should rely on hardware alarms since they work OK.

Yep, they do work great for us in the majority of cases.

> As far as the PC87366 chip is concerned, remember that only the critical
> limit is unusable, min and max limits are OK, so you'll still get an
> alarm if the measured temperature goes beyond these limits.

Ah, ok, I didn't realize this.

> Are there other hardware monitoring chips you are woking with and which
> are causing trouble?

Well, now I'm really straying from the topic, but I don't seem to have much luck
with getting alarms to triger consistently using the asb100 chip on an A7M266
board. It uses set temp_over and temp_hyst rather than min and max. AFAIK,
silly Asus continues to refuse to supply a datasheet for this chip. I believe
the Alarm Notes section describes some of these problems:
http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/browse.cgi/lm_sensors2/doc/chips/asb100

--
Andrew D. Johnson
PGP Fingerprint: 77BD 80B1 4918 1D98 9EBF 2E62 073B 9B31 A1DC 41F4