linux 2.6.6 & w83627hf module & Q-Fan

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 01:56:41AM -0400, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:
> Hi again:
>
> > * rutger at nospam.com <rutger at nospam.com> [2004-05-16 12:10:15 +0200]:
> > > The problem is I want to be able to read the CPU temperature without
> > > disabling Q-Fan. When I insmod the module now, the fan speeds up to
> > > maximum speed without reason.
>
> * Mark M. Hoffman <mhoffman at lightlink.com> [2004-06-06 01:03:30 -0400]:
> > But I don't see that behaviour here.  Actually, QFAN doesn't seem to do
> > much for me whether it's enabled in BIOS or not.  Anyway, I read through
> > the driver again keeping your report in mind... I can't see the problem.
>
> Er, now I see it.  If you pass "init=0" when you modprobe the driver,
> then QFAN should continue to work normally.  I already had init=0 in
> /etc/modprobe.conf so it's no wonder I didn't see this at first.  Let
> me know if this doesn't work for you.

Indeed, this does the trick!

Thanks; maybe this should be made default or otherwise be toggable
runtime?

Passing w83627hf.init=0 at kernel prompt doesn't seem to help when
compiled build in... Strange...

--
Rutger Nijlunsing ---------------------------- rutger ed tux tmfweb nl
never attribute to a conspiracy which can be explained by incompetence