sensord: rrd database and timeslots

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:32:40PM +0200, Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe wrote:
> Well, this depends a lot on the values you get from the sensors
> and on the interpretation of them.
> For example, I have a machine whose fan is reported with 0 RPM
> from time to time, while it normally operates around 4200 RPM.
> With interpolation I get something like 70 RPM stored in the
> rrd instead of the - real - 0, which shows a very different
> view in the rrd than in reality.
>
> The question is more or less: does the spotlight that sensord
> points at one moment say something about the values of the
> sensors in the past?

We have different points of view. For my part values comming from
sensors are changing slowly, that's why interpolation is not a problem,
and is even better.

You seems that your fan's sensor changes very often. It is surely due to
a fan_div not properly configured. Try to multiply the fan_div
corresponding to you fan by 2 or 4. For more information, have a look at
/usr/share/doc/lm-sensors/doc/fan-divisors

With this problem solved, the interpolation should not be a problem
anymore.

Bye,
Aurelien

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno	              GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux developer | Electrical Engineering Student
 `. `'   aurel32 at debian.org         | aurelien at aurel32.net