sensord: rrd database and timeslots

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 01:20:37PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> is better that have to be sampled as near as possible from the time
> slots to get correct values. However, IMHO the values would be more
> "true" if the sensors are sampled a little to late but corrected than if
> they are sample to late and not corrected.

Well, this depends a lot on the values you get from the sensors
and on the interpretation of them.
For example, I have a machine whose fan is reported with 0 RPM
from time to time, while it normally operates around 4200 RPM.
With interpolation I get something like 70 RPM stored in the
rrd instead of the - real - 0, which shows a very different
view in the rrd than in reality.
The question is more or less: does the spotlight that sensord
points at one moment say something about the values of the
sensors in the past?

Mario
--
Independence Day: Fortunately, the alien computer operating system works just
fine with the laptop. This proves an important point which Apple enthusiasts