i2c-1.8.4 and lm_sensors-2.8.5 -- a comment

> Your lm_sensors-2.8.5/Makefile contains rules for "make install"
> which print a warning:
> *** The depmod command below may generate errors. We are aware of the
> *** problem and are working on a solution.
> This warning applies in particular to the case that $(DESTDIR) != "",
> when there are lots of warnings about files not owned by root (while
> I have seen no warnings in the other case).

Now, the warning was added as we changed internal structures of the i2c
subsystem in a way that makes it not compatible with the 2.4 kernel's
i2c subsystem. The dependencies error are between in-kernel i2c drivers
and our new i2c core.

So it's completely unrelated to the use of DESTDIR. I didn't even know
that it was generating extra errors in this case.

> Running depmod is a typical post-install action and I think there is
> no way to get it right with $(DESTDIR) != "".

Well, in my mind the -b flag was working well enough and was what people
needed. I remember one user cross-compiling modules for an embedded
system those root disk was mounted on the host system. I think that the
-b flag was exactly what the guy wanted.

> Instead of running "/sbin/depmod -a -b $(DESTDIR)" and producing a
> bunch of useless modules.* files, I would like to suggest that you
> omit this and instead print a warning that depmod must be run after
> the modules have been installed in their final location

I would much like to hear distribution packagers on this. Aurelien,
Axel?

> (as far as Iknow most/all Linux distributions run depmod early in
> their boot sequence) as follows:

True, but sometimes you want the modules to be usable directly. And some
distributions run depmod too late in the boot process and some modules
may be needed before that. I agree it's a distribution issue however.

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/