Reading a compass CMPS03

right.
If parallel ports have integrated pullups, hopefully they aren't too strong
for the external i2c chip.
Two other possibilities:
1) the i2c chip doesn't have a good ground
2) the parallel port is driving high on that pin rather than changing
   to an input, so you're getting contention. This could be caused by
   a driver bug, or your connecting to the wrong pin.