Dallas 1-wire protocol implementation.

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 01:24:53AM +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> Here is driver implementing the most interesting IMHO parts of Dallas
> 1-wire protocol for linux kernel 2.6.

Nice, but can you send this in patch form?  That's necessary if you want
this added to the kernel tree.

> It supports search/reset/read temperature and prowides API like i2c
> layer does.
> Since i only have 18s20 termometer driver provides only
> temperature reading. Obviously it is easy to report alarms,
> writing/reading eeprom and so on with created 1-wire framework.
>
> For testing i soldered ddc pin in my matrox g400 card to termometer's
> data pin and used this pin in GPIO mode.
> Strong pull-up was got from harddrive +5V.
>
> Read/write GPIO bits primitives are written and described in
> matrox_w1.c.
> Great thanks to Petr Vandrovec <VANDROVE at vc.cvut.cz> for explaining some
> bits of his matrox_fb driver, GPIO and I2C.
>
> The basic schema is following:
> wire.ko - provides general 1-wire API, netlink logging of search
> process(can be easily extended to log any other 1-wire events), sysfs
> processing and so on.

Why netlink?  What's wrong with just monitoring the sysfs files?

I have a few minor comments on the code below:

> #ifdef MATROX_W1_DEBUG
> #define log(f, a...) printk(KERN_DEBUG "matrox_w1: " f, ## a)
> #define loga(f, a...) printk(f, ## a)
> #else
> #define log(f, a...)
> #define loga(f, a...)
> #endif

Stick to the i2c standard logging functions, dev_printk(), dev_dbg(),
dev_err() and friends.

> static __inline__ u8 mreadb(unsigned long addr)
> {
> #ifdef MEMORY_MAPPED_ACCESS
> 	return readb(addr);
> #else
> 	return inb_p(addr);
> #endif
> }

Ick.  Can you do this a runtime instead?

> static int matrox_w1_find_device(struct matrox_device *dev)
> {
> 	struct pci_dev *pdev;
>
> 	pdev = pci_find_device(PCI_VENDOR_ID_MATROX, PCI_DEVICE_ID_MATROX_G400, NULL);

Do NOT use pci_find_device anymore.  Please use the proper pci api to
get your driver called with the proper struct pci_dev already set up for
you.  It's safer that way, and much nicer.  Also, pci_find_device is
racy and unsafe in many different ways...

> 	if (!pdev)
> 	{

Please follow Documentation/CodingStyle for how you place your {}.  You
do this wrong in a number of places in your code.

> static int w1_master_match(struct device *dev, struct device_driver *drv)
> {
> 	log("%s: dev=%p, rv=%p\n", __func__, dev, drv);
> 	return 1;
> }

If you are going to create your own type of bus and driver and devices,
please do it correctly.  But is it really necessary?  Why not just use
the i2c framework for this?

> static __inline__ void w1_write_bit(struct w1_master *dev, int bit)
> {
> 	if (bit)
> 	{
> 		dev->bus_master->write_bit(dev->bus_master->data, 0);
> 		__udelay(6);
> 		dev->bus_master->write_bit(dev->bus_master->data, 1);
> 		__udelay(64);

Why __udelay()?  Why not udelay()?  That should be the proper way to do
it.

thanks,

greg k-h