p4b_smbus and other modules

Here I am again with a dumb question, as I promised on IRC (nick
"mdv"). ;)
On my Asus P4PE, Mandrake Linux 9.0, lm_sensors 2.8.2, sensors works
fine if I manually issue the following commands:

insmod p4b_smbus
modprobe i2c-core
modprobe i2c-i801
modprobe i2c-dev
modprobe i2c-proc
modprobe asb100

(BTW, is i2c-dev really needed? And what about module "eeprom", which
sensors-detect suggested to add? I suppose it's related to the "Chip
`SPD EEPROM'" it detects, but I don't know what it is...)

The problem is that, when issuing the first command "insmod
p4b_smbus", lots of error lines are reported to syslog.
If I add p4b_smbus in /etc/modules to make it load at boot time, those
errors appear again, preventing other non-i2c modules from loading
correctly.

I attach the error log. As you can see, all following i2c modules are
loaded fine (last six lines in the file).

Moreover, I found a p4b_smbus module already installed on my system:
/lib/modules/2.4.19-35mdk/kernel/3rdparty/p4b_smbus/p4b_smbus.o.gz

While I manually copied the one built from lm_sensors sources here:
/lib/modules/2.4.19-35mdk/kernel/drivers/hotplug/p4b_smbus.o

When I do insmod by hand, the system tells me it's using the latter.
Now, you might have understood that I'm rather newbie with regards to
modules... what should I do with these two modules? Where should I
copy the new one? What should I do with the old one? Is this related
to the errors reported?

Thanks a lot.

--
Ciao,