TR : RE : VIA VT1211 Port to 2.6.x in progress

here's some more belated comments
mds

BARRE Francois wrote:
> Hello Mark,
>
> Here is the freshest mail I sent on the people involved I found.
> I asked some questions by the end of mail that you could surely answer.
> Alexander Isacson found another guy involved in the same goal anyway...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fran?ois.

userspace changes the value (see sensors.conf 'set config xx')
The UCH concept is a big pain.
The driver attempts to report zeroes for temps and voltages that
are disabled. My choices for temp and in numbering
(commented in the driver and sensors.conf) make it even more confusing.

> - The last question I still wonder about : is the jiffies stuff (granting
> that time between update_clients is greater that 1.5s) a hardware issue, or
> a pure optimization using a simple data-caching mechanism ? I didn't manage
> to contact the original author, Mark D. Studebaker, and I would not like to
> sacrifice his _wonderfull_ caching stuff in order to minimize overhead (due
> to all attributes reading from the i2c dev), if this change in code design
> is not so much efficient.
> Maybe I'm just losing my time wondering about pointless issues, but I guess
> the most frequent use of such a device is to regularly poll for a
> temperature and show/use it somewhere (like in gkrellm or on a tiny LCD
> screen popping 'CPU Burning !'). Except for testing or reading all voltages
> maybe...
> I shall keep this design unchanged for the moment, and provide a
> compile-time option later on to avoid data caching.

caching code is common in all the lm_sensors drivers so I don't take credit.
see other mail for more info.