trying BK...

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 07:25:01PM -0500, Mark Studebaker wrote:
> Greg,
> I think I have enough bandwidth and disk space now to try BK...
> I should start by cloning your tree?

If you want to :)

> This one bk://kernel.bkbits.net/gregkh/linux/i2c-2.6

That's not currently available, I need to rebuild all of my
kernel.bkbits.net bk trees, as they were wiped when the system was
rebuilt after the breakin on that box.

> or this one bk://linuxusb.bkbits.net/i2c-2.6
> or???

Depends on what you want to do.  If you want to track my current
development tree, you can use bk://linuxusb.bkbits.net/usb-2.5/

Despite the name, it has all of the patches submitted to me for i2c,
pci, and usb in it.  I then break them out of there and build up a bk
tree for Linus or Marcelo to pull from.  Or I make patches out of it,
like I've been doing for the past few days for the sysfs stuff.

But that tree is not based off of Linus's tree, which is good and bad.
Good in that it's faster to use it than Linus's tree as there are less
changesets in it.  Bad in that it's a bit harder to pull patches out of
at times.

Not to deter you, but I would recommend you try out the usb-2.5 tree for
now.  That's what a lot of the usb developers track, and it seems to
work well for them.  Watch out for a few odd things that I have in that
tree (lots of extra sysfs and pci hotplug and security patches).

Also, please go through the bk tutorial on the bk site.  It will help
you out a lot in figuring out how things work.  If you have any specific
questions, or you want to send me a patch, have me merge it with my
tree, and see how you resolve the patch on your end, please let me know.

thanks,

greg k-h