Linux driver for hardware monitor device

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick response. We have evaluation boards available that we
could provide free. Most of them are USB compatible via a Cypress EZUSB
microcontroller. It comes with our Sensor eval software that is windows
compatible. I know I know it's not Linux compatible, but that's all we
have.

The part I'm specifically thinking about is the LM93 hardware monitor
targeted for servers. We have an evaluation board that plugs into a PCI
slot. It directly accesses the SMBus/Power on the mother through the slot
or has a header to apply power/SMBus externally through jumpers. Needless
to say that this evaluation board does not include the Cypress
microcontoller and is not USB compatible. I've attached the LM93 datasheet
as a first step. It will be release to our web in the next couple of weeks.

We would also like to see support for the LM90 and LM99. The LM86 is
compatible with the LM89, LM90 and LM99. There are very slight differences
between these parts I would say the code is probably more than 95%
compatible. We also have a new device the LM63 that has a very similar
register set. The pin out is even somewhat compatible with the LM86 type of
devices. The LM63 includes fan control. All the value registers of that
device are compatible with the LM86 family of parts.

I'd be happy to answer questions or find an answer from other folks here at
National for any of our LM sensor parts. Thanks again!

Take care,

Emmy Denton
National Semiconductor
Temperature Sensor Applications
408-721-3267
(See attached file: LM93dsV091.pdf)

                      "Philip
                      Edelbrock"               To:       "Emmy Smaragda Denton" <Emmy.Smaragda.Denton at nsc.com>
                      <phil at edgedesign.        cc:       "LM Sensors" <sensors at Stimpy.netroedge.com>
                      us>                      Subject:  Re: Linux driver for hardware monitor device

                      12/05/2003 02:57
                      PM

Hi Emmy, let me cc your information to our development team.

The best path to help us is to give us documentation, test hardware
(eval boards, motherboards, or even computers) and an engineering
contact we can use to answer any difficult questions we have which the
datasheets don't address.

Which sensor chips, specificly, are you wishing to help us support?
What materials could you provide to help us?  What usually happens is a
person (or two) from our group will volunteer to take on a particular
sensor chip driver you want us to support and you would ship or email
any relevent hardware or documentation directly to them and they will do
the work.  The more you provide/donate, the greater the incentive for a
developer to step forward and tackle the project, of course.

Oh, and to answer your last question (if I understand it right), at some
level there must be code which is sensor chip dependant (although that
code could be in Bios space).  It is possible to link everything
together and distribute it as one big binary driver file (like your
Windows driver probably is), but we submit all of our source code in a
very organized and modular way to make it easier to maintain and
develop.  Does that make sense?  To the end user, they usually don't
have to worry about how things have been organized.  They simply run
'sensors' and it uses the appropriate drivers to talk with the chips
which are present on their computer.

Thanks for you mail!

Phil