libsensors for linux 2.6

> But I think this approach is good for now. Another hour of modifying
> lib/chips.c and it will be done. But if you're getting ready to
> change the standard names and/or magnitudes I better hold off...

Not sure how long it will take nor if it will be done now. I would like
it to be decided as soon as possible bug Greg's opinion differs, it
seems.

> Helpful hint: the more names stay the same as they were before the
> less typing there will be (inx, inx_min, inx_max....). Unfortunately
> pretty much everything is different now.

The simple fact that we switched to a one file per value philosophy
makes it fundamentaly different, isn't it?

> The reason it's called "in_input1" instead of "in1" escapes me.

Probably in order to match the above mentioned philosophy. In1 is an
entity, not a value. As an entity, it has several values: measurement
(here called input) and limits. I guess that having all files named
after a common scheme (${entity-name}_${value-name}${N} here) is of
great value when it comes to obtaining a chipset-independant library
and/or user-space tools interface.

That said, I would have named that file in1_input, not in_input1,
because it makes it visualy obvious that all in1_* correspond to the
same entity, while it isn't that obvious (to me at least) that all in_*1
values belong to a family.

> One problem I ran into:
>
> For temp_xxx, sysfs_interface says divide by 1000 but actually it's
> 100(for w83781d anyway)

I knew it. See my answer to Danny's post earlier in this thread.
After a quick look, the it87 driver seems to be OK.

Greg, can you confirm that the retained unit it the thousandth (and not
hundredth) of degree Celcius?

Mark, are you using a w83781d or similar chip under 2.6.0-testX? If you
do, I would like you to confirm that the hysteresis and over
temperatures are swapped.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/