i2c/kernel i2c-algo-bit.c

> Fix #1 looks fine.
> Fix #2 (test_bus) I'm sure is an improvement.
> If you are really motivated, try fixing the printk's for debug=1.
> As I recall from long ago some of them are not correct.

Could be a feature. Maybe the author considered that someone askin for
the test shouldn't have to also set i2c_debug in order to see the result
of the test.

My opinion is that I would rather do the test as the default (that is,
default to bit_test=1) and not show anything about it unless
i2c_debug>=1. The reason why I suggest this should be the default is
that I plan to write a unified i2c-over-parport driver as a replacement
for the 5 different drivers out there. Idealy, that driver would be able
to autodetect which kind of parallel port adapter is present. This can't
be done without bit_test=1 as far as I can tell. So, unless bit_test is
likely to cause trouble (shouldn't since we check the bus isn't busy) I
would like it to be the default.

This also solves other problems, such as sensors-detect taking forever
to scan i2c-matroxfb busses with non DDC-compliant monitor plugged-in.

> If you want to be truly frightened try debug=9.

I don't want to be frightened. I already live right in front of a
graveyard, that's enough ;)

> The actual cycle time is 2/3 of advertised (yes it's 3 states total,
> not 2 or 4).

I guess you mean 3/2 of advertised. If I read you (and the code)
carefully, this means that SCL isn't a square signal, is it? Does this
really comply with the I2C standard?

(Just took a look at TODO... Let me be clear. All this stuff is way
beyond me.)

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/