Question about VID

but the only way to tell if the pins are used for VID is to
enable VID and see what the value is.
(oops, there is one way, look at the GPIO direction
programming, if they are set for outputs you know they
aren't VID..)

As I said, the driver doesn't use the VID value internally,
only libsensors may use it for calculations of limits,
so it does no harm.

If the VID is bogus, the user can take care of it by ignoring
it in sensors.conf. Why bother telling the driver not
to return the values of the GPIO inputs?