lm75 compute

Salut Jean,

Yes, i think you must be right there, i can't come up with any other
explanation of why your board BIOS would scale up the temperature. The
LM75 is an air-flow temperature sensor, not a die temperature sensor.
My point was: you're right to modify your sensors.conf to scale it up
by 2.0, but it probably shouldn't be the default setting.

As far as i know (which is not that much as i'm a software guy), the
National LM75 is very commonly used, though i could ask one of our
hardware gurus if you're interested. One of our boards has an LM75, an
LM87 and a NE1617 very close together. All three have internal temp
sensors, and all three report pretty much the exact same temperature
(typically around 25 to 30C in our strongly air-conditionned lab). The
LM87 has pins for external sensor diodes which are connected to FPGA
diodes. Those are die temperatures, and are always a lot higher
(depending of whether the FPGA has a heat-sink or not), around 40 to
50C (hyst is typically 75C, limit 85C).

I was hoping to contribute some drivers to your project, based on your
interest and if i get some time (Philips ne1617, Vitesse VSC055, or
more fun, XFP laser 10G transceivers...).

-denis