i2c for Alpha

The I2C controller usually lives on the south bridge (the chip which has
the slower I/O, like IDE, ISA, etc.).

Usually there are people maintaining kernels used for 'unusual'
architectures (like PPC), you might see if there is someone who is
patching and maintaining a stable 64-bit Alpha kernel for your
application.  They'd be a good place to ask more general questions.
Here's a good canidate I found with a quick Google search:

http://www.alphalinux.org/

Phil