From: Jean Delvare [mailto:khali at linux-fr.org]
Sent: dinsdag 7 oktober 2003 17:20
To: lamar at synque.com
Cc: sensors at stimpy.netroedge.com; mbm at livewiredev.com
Subject: Re: Iwill MPX2 - LM83/LM90 confusion

> One more item, I hope this isn't noise, but there may be two(!)
> LM90s/LM83s on the MPX2.

Maybe, maybe not. Running 2.8.1's sensors-detect will tell you that (and
possibly more).

> At any rate, I had seen the 2.8.1 but was loathe to install it
> because:
> 1) I'd just installed 2.8.0

This means you'd have installed 2.8.1 easily, since the procedure hasn't
changed ;)

> 2) 2.8.1 was beta

In now way it is. What made you think it could be?

> But if you invested the time to write it the least I can do is
> install and test it.

If you wan't LM90 support, you want 2.8.1. It's that simple ;)

> Question: why does the i2c version always have to increase
> to support lm_sensors?

Because most sensor chips are located on the I2C bus (aka SMBus).

> Are you upgrading i2c to handle devices that lm_sensors will use?

Yes, sort of. We add utility functions, remove unused ones, adapt
internal structures to reflect kernel policy changes, and so on. You do
not always need the exact same version of i2c and lm_sensors, but since
we also fix bugs it i2c, you always want to update i2c to match the
version of lm_sensors you plan to install.

Let us know how 2.8.1 does work for you :)
Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/