Driving non-smbus i2c chip given I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_EMUL adapter driv er

Greetings,

I read through the docs and FAQ and some driver code but could not determine
how to communicate with my i2c chip from my chip driver.

I'm working with an embedded system that has the following:

*	i2c adapter
*	i2c device (not indicated to be smbus-compatible in the data sheet)
*	i2c-algo-<arch>.o
*	i2c-adap-<arch>.o

and I need to create chip drivers for the non-smbus i2c device.

Also given:

*	the existing bus driver functionality doesn't include I2C_FUNC_I2C
(only I2C_FUNC_SMBUS_EMUL and a couple of other flags)
*	In the adapter algo driver, master_xfer is implemented, smbus_xfer
is NULL

My question is this:

Can my chip driver reliably use i2c calls (i2c_master_send,
i2c_master_receive, etc)? Can it reliably use i2c_smbus_xxx() calls?

Hopefully these are not overly stupid questions. Thanks very much in advance
for your time.

- geoff