lm_sensors shell and Mandrake

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 10:23, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > thanks again for your help and I enjoy lm_sensors. I use GKrellm and
> > it updates all the time.  Fun.
>
> You're welcome. Happy users are our greatest reward.
>
> > I noticed one thing however that may be particular to my system.  Even
> > though the installation script places an lm_sensors shell script in
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d and a lm_sensors file in /etc/sysconfig, it is never
> > used.
>
> Just to make it clear, lm_sensors doesn't install these files by
> default. You have to run sensors-detect in order to create
> /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors, and you have to copy the
> prog/init/lm_sensors.init file to /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors by
> yourself.

Yes, but they ARE there, but not being used.  Also, as I mentioned,
sensors-detect recommended putting the modprobe lines in an rc.* file
(rc.local for me).

> If you got lm_sensors as a package for your distribution, this process
> may have been half or fully automated though.
No, I compiled CVS

> > Looking at my dmesg output, the only thing starting is the
> > lines from the rc.local file I modified.
> >
> > I could install the lm_sensors shell script using the SysV editor, but
> > I don't want to mess anything up having the rc.local script running
> > fine.
>
> Well, as long as things work the way you want, it's alright.
That's for sure! :)

> > As feedback, it seems to me that either the install script show
> > recommended lines for an rc.* file OR allow the user to install the
> > script as part of the start up sequence.
> >
> > Right now, I have the files, but they are never used!
>
> The fact that the files are used or not depend on the system. For
> example, I have a Slackware system, and it doesn't care a bit about
> /etc/sysconfig/. Copying prog/init/lm_sensors.init wouldn't help by
> itself, I still would have to tell the system to run that script at
> startup, it won't by default. So I have to say that I do not use this
> script at all (same as you, it seems) but wrote my own script as
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sensors, which I am calling from /etc/rd.c/rc/local.

Ah, now it is clear.  Yes, it seems I would have to insert the
lm_sensors script in run levels 3-5.

> > Let me know what you think.
>
> How to install lm_sensors highly depends on the distribution, and we
> don't support all of them at the moment, so some work by the user may
> still be required. I don't consider this a big problem. Usually,
> lm_sensors is packaged for distributions with the specific changes to
> fit each distribution, so end users don't notice it. For the rest of
> them (the ones that compile from the sources), we consider them aware
> enough to read the docs and adapt the installation process to their
> system on their own.
>
> For most distributions, the only step required is to add a bunch of
> symlinks in /etc/rc.d/rc*.d/, to /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors. This can
> usually be automated using chkconfig (if I'm not mistaking). So it's not
> that hard, and we can't really take that last step instead of the user.
> We consider it the system owner's responsability to decide at which
> runlevels lm_sensors should be started.
>
> If you can think of some improvement we could add to our installation
> process, let us know.

I will!  I am no expert, but sometimes too curious for my own
well-being!  Thanks again for your time and for assisting me.  Regards,
--
Peter Hyman
Home:(609)395-1211 Office: (609)655-1184, Fax:(609)655-0285