no FAN3 available

> thanks for your answer. I've checked the manual of my mainboard about
> the winbond chip. On the graphic I can only see one W83697HF Chip. No
> second chip which can monitor the third FAN.

I recently contacted MSI about another motherboard, asking them if it
had a secondary monitoring chip. I knew it had. They told it had not. I
told them I knew it had. They told I were wrong...

Don't trust docs. Don't trust support. These are hints at best, but only
solely the truth.

> But if I go into my BIOS I can see the system fan-speed too.

So the secondary chip has to exist.

> I've just downloaded the newest sensors-detect script and unloaded all
> i2c devices. After this, I started the sensors-detect script and go
> through the installation process. I've append the output of the script
> to this mail. I'll be very glad if you have the time and could help me
> to get the third FAN working.

See below.

> Maybe I try to
> connect the system-fan to the FAN2 input on my mainboard.

If you don't use the FAN2 input, yes, why not.

> Thanks for your effort.

You're welcome.

> Client found at address 0x18
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1021'... Failed!
> Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1021A/ADM1023'... Failed!
> Probing for `Maxim MAX1617'... Failed!
> Probing for `Maxim MAX1617A'... Failed!
> Probing for `TI THMC10'... Failed!
> Probing for `National Semiconductor LM84'... Failed!
> Probing for `Genesys Logic GL523SM'... Failed!
> Probing for `Onsemi MC1066'... Failed!
> Probing for `National Semiconductor LM82'... Failed!
> Probing for `National Semiconductor LM83'... Failed!

There is something there. Something we don't know yet, but it's there.
Please provide the output of "i2cdump 0 0x18" (make sure i2c-viapro is
loaded). (I got the strange feeling that I *already* asked you for that
output... Please forgive me if this is the case).

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/