Sensors whackyness under 2.6.x

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 06:29:58PM +0200, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > It gets whackier. I get the same results from both 2.4 and 2.6 now and
> > they're different to before! Joy.
>
> This simply proves that the problem is much more complex that you may
> have first thought. I'm completely lost myself.

Doh!

> > rmmoding the modules under either version did not help. The sensors
> > data was whacky too. here's one snapshot:
> >
> > thmc10-i2c-0-4d
> > Adapter: SMBus PIIX4 adapter at 2180
> > Algorithm: Non-I2C SMBus adapter
> > Board:      -101?C  (min =  +20?C, max = -101?C)
> > CPU:        -101?C  (min =  +20?C, max = -101?C)ALARM (LOW,HIGH)
>
> You were supposed to use adm1021, and now it seems that you are using
> thmc10. Could you explain that to us?

It just changes when things go whacky... It also reported itself as max
something or other. I am definately using adm1021 though.

> > > What if you load i2c-piix4 first, and then adm1021? If the slowdowns
> > > appear before loading adm1021, then the i2c-piix4 driver is at
> > > fault, else either adm1021 or i2c-piix4 is at fault.
> >
> > I did it in the order above. Slowdowns did not happen till I loaded
> > the system.
>
> What if you don't load any chip driver (thmc10 nor adm1021) and load the
> system?

>From memory it's fine but I'll doublecheck.

> > > I would like you to try with i2c-CVS and lm_sensors-CVS. We made a
> > > change to the i2c-piix4 driver recently that could influence your
> > > problem. Download instructions are to be found here:
> > > http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/download.html#cvs
> >
> > Do you still want me to do this?
>
> Sure I want.

Cool. Will do that next. I'm planning on running sensors once a second and
logging the output. Any debugging you'd like done while I'm at it?

--
"How can I not love the Americans? They helped me with a flat tire the
other day," he said.