High, low and crit are in a boat...

Hi all,

I'm on my way to finish the lm90 driver and am facing one more problem.
This chipset has, for each temperature sensor, a high limit, a low
limit, and a critical limit (plus a common, relative hysteresis value,
but that's not the point here). I am wondering in which order I should
make them appear in the procfs entries. As far as I could see, the only
chipset offering more than two limits per temperature sensor is the
lm92. Unfortunately, the order in use here is so bad that I won't use
it, for sure. The oder is: current, high, low, crit, hyst. All other
drivers have the current value last, and I want to stick to that. I
think that the first value should always be high or critical, since
these are the values people will want to change the more frequently.
Apart from that, I admit I have no strong opinion, so if anyone has,
speak up.

Wouldn't it be great to define an order once and for all, so that all
drivers behave the same wrt this point?

My proposal would be to place higher values first, down to lower ones,
for all values that are absolute. Then the relative values (I'm mostly
thinking to chipsets where you can set a relative hysteresis for each
sensor, and this value applies to all other limits for that sensor). And
finally the current, read-only value.

So in my case this would be: crit, high, low, current.

Comments welcome, as usual.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/