w83781d family detection

* Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> [2003-07-27 23:18:56 +0200]:

> > > Similar changes should be made to the w83781d driver itself, but I
> > > would like my changes to be tested before that. My tests were
> > > successful on three chips I own (AS99127F rev.1, W83781D and
> > > W83782D) but more tests would be welcome.
> >
> > Seems to work on Bach.  Will you do a patch for 2.6?  Otherwise I can.
>
> I will do the changes on our driver tomorrow, test, commit, let you
> test, and then submit a patch for 2.6.

Oops... I thought you already committed this.  So I haven't actually
tested it yet - but you probably knew that.  If you pass a patch to
the list first I'll give it a go.

> > AFAIK, Bach is I2C only.  Mine reads 0 from 0x48.
>
> And is at I2C address 0x2d I suppose? Anyway, unless we are sure these

Yes.

> chips have no address selection pins, we can't conclude. However, I
> expect them to be pin-to-pin compatible with their Winbond counterparts,
> and as such are unlikely to have address selection pins. We have three
> possibilities:
>
> 1* Leave everything unchanged.
> 2* Limit AS199237F and ASB100 to addres 0x2d.
> 3* Leave the whole 0x28-0x2f range possible but give the chips a lower
> confidence if address isn't 0x2d.
>
> I'm in favor of solution 3.

I wouldn't mind limiting ASB100 to 0x2d, actually.  I don't recall ever
seeing it anywhere else - but if it is, we'll find out soon enough. ;)
Or choice 3 is fine too.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman