w83781d family detection

* Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org> [2003-07-26 11:26:57 +0200]:

> I made significant changes to the w83781d family detection method in
> sensors-detect.
>
> * Separate detection sub for W83L784R/AR. Its registers differ from the
> other chipsets in the family, it shouldn't have been added to
> w83781d_detect in the first place.
> * Ranges limited to what the specs say for I2C-only chips (see below).
> * Add detection for the AS99127F rev.2 and explicit detection of the
> ASB100 Bach.

Nice.  I tested this against Bach just now.  Timely too, since I'm
doing an independent driver for that chip.  Anyone have a preference
for the name?  If not it will be "bach.c".

> * Improve code readability.
> * Do not ignore the chipset ID LSB anymore. Explicit acceptation of 0x11
> as a W83781D ID instead.
> * Fix a bug in secondary LM75 address extraction. The previous code
> returned 0x48 whatever the register could contain. I'm astonished it was
> never reported. This means that most if not all chipsets in that family
> use 0x48 as their secondary LM75's address.
>
> Similar changes should be made to the w83781d driver itself, but I would
> like my changes to be tested before that. My tests were successful on
> three chips I own (AS99127F rev.1, W83781D and W83782D) but more tests
> would be welcome.

Seems to work on Bach.  Will you do a patch for 2.6?  Otherwise I can.

> About the address ranges:
>
> For the W83783S and the W83L784R/AR, no address selection pins exist.
> Since they cab be accessed only via the I2C bus, this make me think the
> address is unlikely to be changed, so I limited the range to the default
> address (0x2D). Likewise, the W83791D has 2 address selector pins, so
> the range is 0x2C-0x2F (4 addresses).
> For Asus chip, I chose the range 0x28-0x2F. We have no datasheet, this
> seem to be a good compromise (and Alex does the same). However, the fact
> that the register 0x48 doesn't hold the chip I2C address make me think
> Asus doesn't want the address to be changed at all, so we could limit
> the address to 0x2d. (MMH, do you confirm that your ASB100 has nothing
> useful at 0x48?)

AFAIK, Bach is I2C only.  Mine reads 0 from 0x48.

> I think it's better to limit the ranges. This reduces scan time (not
> significantly I guess) and limits the risks of misdetection and
> corruptions. I browsed the mailing list and every log I could find fits
> the new ranges. I voluntarily left the ISA chips ranges unchanged, since
> in this case the address can be changed using the ISA bus and we have
> reports it occured (W83627HF have been seen at 0x2c and 0x2f according
> to what I read in our archives).

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman