One-liner fix for i2c-velleman (and problems with i2c-tsunami)

On Friday 25 July 2003 04:10 am, you wrote:
> > Apparently gcc-3.2.3/alpha doesn't grok the original method
> > of static initialization.  It choked on it badly until I
> > switched it.  gcc-2.95.3/x86 seems to like either way just
> > fine.
>
>     Hm... We're using Compaq RH 7.2 Alpha distribution. We've
> a choice of weird redhat gcc-2.96 and a kgcc which is a
> egcs-2.91.66. Both compiling this stuff with no errors. Where
> you have got a precompiled 3.2.3 for alpha? In my opinion it's
> better to use kgcc then compiling a kernel on alpha anyway.
> BTW, redhat guys use gcc-2.96 for the purpose...

Man, HPaq's RH 7.2 Alpha distribution is _ancient_ in tech
timelines. ;)  RedHat basically discontinued support for the
Alpha and passed the buck on to HPaq (causing redhat-axp users
much distress, I might add).  HPaq's barely even making a token
effort to maintain it.

I personally use a derivative of LinuxFromScratch
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/).  IIRC Debian unstable with a
precompiled gcc-3.x, but Debian 3.0 is still using gcc-2.95.4.

As for which compiler to use, gcc-3.2.x is pretty widely regarded
as the best compiler for Linux 2.4 on Alpha, even while 2.95.x
is preferred for compiling kernels on x86.  2.95.3 has a
tendency to ICE when compiling SMP kernels on Alpha.  2.96
is...well...just plain unofficial and dirty in a RedHat
hacked-up fashion.  egcs is just plain old, and the kernel
developers don't bother catering to egcs anymore.

> > Maybe the C standard has changed, or maybe gcc3 is just
> > being a fruitcake.  But as the other static structs use a
> > different form of initialization, I decided to accomodate
> > gcc3 and introduce proper consistency in one fell swoop.
>
>     Sounds amazing. ;-))

/me morphs into SuperCoder, takes flight, collides with three
birds, and promptly trips over a skyscraper.  Ouch.

Man, I think those birds had the right-of-way, too. ;)

> > Hmmm...well, part of the tsunami_driver struct requires a
> > PCI ID table (tsunami_ids).  I'm not sure what's supposed to
> > go in that table?
> >
> > Could it be that someone tried to port the driver to the new
> > API, half-finished it, and left it for dead?
> > lm_sensors-2.7.0 makes no mention of the tsunami_driver
> > struct or the tsunami_ids table.  Maybe that little struct
> > arrangement isn't supposed to be there?
>
>     If you mean these things
>
>       .id_table       = tsunami_ids,
>
>     then I don't who is doing that... I've attached
> "reference" version of the driver to this mail.

Cool...I'll see what I can do with that.

>     I've attached i2c-elektor.patch for proper readb/writeb
> support in newest kernel. Please incorporate it with your
> Alpha fixes.

Will do, thanks.

> > What Alpha motherboards support sensors like that, btw?
>
>     Tsunami chips are used on most low-end Alpha 21264
> systems, both from Compaq and Samsung (former Alpha Processor
> Inc.) systems. PCF8584 (elektor) chips are used on Samsung
> UP2000, UP2000+ boards and similar systems (I do not remember
> exactly) from Compaq.

Hmmm...perhaps PC164LX?  Maybe I'll try later.

Oh, Jean...as far as the gcc warnings go on i2c, I tracked them
down and decided they're harmless.  Just some devs took the
"void *data" provided for i2c drivers to maintain private info,
and used the pointer itself to store a single byte.  Kind of a
hack, but tolerable.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"