lm_sensors2/prog/detect sensors-detect

On Friday 27 June 2003 12:40 am, you wrote:

> I guess there were similar errors (Malformed UTF-8 character) for some
> other chipsets?

yes for instance...

Probing for `IPMI BMC KCS'
  Trying address 0x0ca0...
Called inb with port=3235
After sysseek
After sysread, nrchars=1
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0xff, immediately
after start byte 0xff) in ord at sensors-detect2.pl line 1358.
Read value with ord=0
Returning res=255
Failed!

> Anyway, I'm stumped. I was expecting your system to return UTF-8 chars
> from /dev/ports, and it doesn't seem so (or why would perl say they are
> malformed?) And if it returns regular chars, why are the values
> different from the ones obtained with a non-UTF-8 locale?  I just don't
> understand.

This could be a bug in Perl and their partial UTF8 hack

> So from here I only see two possibilities:
>
> 1* Opening /dev/ports in binary mode solves the problem (which I doubt,
> since traditionally, Unix systems don't differenciate text and binary
> modes). Please grab the modified script that does this and tell me if it
> works:
>   http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/sensors-detect-k3

With UTF8......
Probing for `ITE IT8705F / IT8712F / SiS 950'
  Trying address 0x0290...
Called inb with port=657
After sysseek
After sysread, nrchars=1
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0x90, with no
preceding start byte) in ord at sensors-detect-k3 line 1358.
Read value with ord=0
Returning res=144

Called inb with port=658
After sysseek
After sysread, nrchars=1
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0x90, with no
preceding start byte) in ord at sensors-detect-k3 line 1358.
Read value with ord=0
Returning res=144

Called inb with port=659
After sysseek
After sysread, nrchars=1
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0x90, with no
preceding start byte) in ord at sensors-detect-k3 line 1358.
Read value with ord=0
Returning res=144

Called inb with port=663
After sysseek
After sysread, nrchars=1
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected continuation byte 0x90, with no
preceding start byte) in ord at sensors-detect-k3 line 1358.
Read value with ord=0
Returning res=144

Called inb with port=661
After sysseek
After sysread, nrchars=1
Read value with ord=1552
Returning res=216

Called inb with port=661
After sysseek
After sysread, nrchars=1
Read value with ord=66
Returning res=66
Failed!
Probing for `IPMI BMC KCS'
  Trying address 0x0ca0...
Called inb with port=3235
After sysseek
After sysread, nrchars=1
Malformed UTF-8 character (unexpected non-continuation byte 0xff, immediately
after start byte 0xff) in ord at sensors-detect-k3 line 1358.
Read value with ord=0
Returning res=255
Failed!

Without UTF8

Probing for `ITE IT8705F / IT8712F / SiS 950'
  Trying address 0x0290...
Called inb with port=657
After sysseek
After sysread, nrchars=1