nForce2

Hmm, seems like a lot of playing around.
Could you tell me how I would go about detecting the sensors, just to
monitor them with an app like gkrellm? It is really that hard? I have a bit
of experience with linux so I know how not to break a system. :)
BTW, I'm running Redhat 9 (kernel 2.4.20-8) on a Shuttle SN41G2 XPC and an
AthlonXP 2600+ 333FSB.

Thank you and much appreciated.
Regards
Andrew

PS. If possible, please reply to munday at globaldial.com . Thanks.

>From: Jean Delvare <khali at linux-fr.org>
>To: "Andrew Munday" <illmunday at hotmail.com>
>CC: sensors at Stimpy.netroedge.com
>Subject: Re: nForce2
>Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:34:54 +0200
>

> > I have a Shuttle SN41G2 XPC that uses the nForce2 chipset. I have
> > installed Redhat Linux 9 and wish to use gKrellm for hardware
> > monitoring, but the lm_sensors that comes bundled with Redhat 9 won't
> > detect any of the sensors on my motherboard. I have read on your site
> > that CVS version 2.8.0 has support for the nForce2 motherboards but
> > all that is written in the changelog is:
> >
> > Module i2c-nforce2: New
> >
> > Does this mean it is still in development or it is a stable working
> > version? I look forward to your reply as I really wish to monitor my
> > cpu temps in my new system.
>
>The driver really exist, but hasn't been extensively tested. We had both
>positive and negative (to say the less) feedback, so feel free to give
>it a try, but expect your mileage to vary.
>
>You'll probably have difficulties too, because Gkrellm depends
>(package-wise) from lm_sensors which itself could depend form i2c
>(unless Red Hat integrated it into the kernel). If you install
>lm_sensors from CVS, you'll need i2c from CVS too (tag lk2-4) (which in
>turn may conflict with your kernel if i2c was built-in). And the new
>library isn't compatible with the old one, so the Gkrellm package won't
>work. All this mean that if you want to try CVS, you'll have to remove
>all your packages that deal with lm sensors in any way, and install
>everything from sources.
>
>This would of course be very welcome since we need testers for this new
>driver, but a reasonable skill with this kind of stuff is required if
>you don't want to break your system down within a hour.
>
>--
>Jean Delvare
>http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

Hotmail is now available on Australian mobile phones. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilecentral/signup.asp