i2c-dev.h

Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 10:27:06PM -0700, Philip Pokorny wrote:
>
>>So '- km' in the sensors.h comments must be Kyosti...
>>
>>There has got to be some common header files between kernel and user space
>>so that data structures and "magic" constants are shared.
>
> No, two separate header files, both kept in sync.  That's the way to do
> this today.

How are they kept in sync.  Force of will?  Without some automatic way
to keep them in sync you've just exchanged one set of problems for
another...

>>If user space can't include kernel headers, then the kernel will have to
>>include a "user space" header.
>
> Nope, see the many threads on the linux-kernel mailing list about this
> issue.

OK.  So H Peter Anvin suggested something very like what I'm suggesting
here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=aho5ql%249ja%241%40cesium.transmeta.com

Google doesn't seem to turn up much else on the linux.kernel mailing
list other than "IOCTL's are bad" comments (and the variations that boil
down to "BINARY interfaces are bad")  I would view this as supporting my
position that it's annoying (and has been for a long time), but not
worse than the alternatives and not so annoying as to require fixing.

>>It would seem to me that the alternative of having two copies of the same
>>data structures and constants would be worse.
>
> Nope.

So we disagree...

:v)

--
Philip Pokorny, Director of Engineering
Tel: 415-358-2635   Fax: 415-358-2646   Toll Free: 888-PENGUIN