Tyan 2720 answer

The Tyan S2721 also uses the same GPIO pins to control an SMBus MUX in the
same way.

It's not in the Intel doc's because it's not a feature of the Intel chip but
rather of the Tyan board layout and design.

Newer 533MHz versions of the S2720 and S2721 motherboards may not have '801CA
chips, but rather newer revisions...  I think some of the other Tyan boards
also have MUX's on them but the BIOS leaves the MUX set so you can access the
sensors.  Don't know if the S2722 and S2723 have this same GPIO controlled MUX
feature...  So some generallity would be a good thing.

I would recommend that you *not* force the sensor type to ADM1021.  When Intel
wrote the spec for the temperature sensor on the Xeon's they chose a lowest
common denominator of registers and features.  But when it comes time to
manufacture the CPU's, they actually placed a purchased, discrete chip on the
CPU module.  If you look closely at the CPU you'll see two small 8-pin chips
on the CPU package.  One is the processor information ROM.  The other is the
monitoring chip.  Because they wrote the spec to be lowest common demonitor,
they could use any manufacturers compatible chip.  The ADM1021 driver
generally correctly detects and identifies the specific chip that Intel used
when building your CPU's.  Using the more specific driver gives you access to
additional information like precision in the case of the ADM1023, and a backup
temperature sensor.  The CPU temperature is the "remote" temperature.

One additional complication is that for the 533MHz FSB CPU's, Intel removed
the SMBus temperature sensors.  ARGHHH...  So in that case, you need to use
the temperature sensors on the 'HF chip with these boards with the sensor type
set to 1? (P-II/Celeron Diode)

And you should be sure to set the sensor type to 2 (2n3904 transistor) for the
third temperature sensor on the 'HF chip...

Nice work ...

:v)