Tyan 2720 answer

I've seen questions in the archive, but no adequate answers about
exactly how to get the CPU temperature sensors working on the Tyan 2720
motherboard.  The trouble is that there are two alternate sets of SMB
devices that can not be activated at the same time.  They are controlled
by two GPIO lines on the Intel 82801CA ICH3-S.   When GPIO27 and GPIO28
are both high, the EEPROMs on the memory chips, and some clock chip are
activated.  When GPIO27 is low and GPIO28 is high, then the CPU
temperature sensors are activated.  Unfortunately, the default seems to
be to activate the EEPROMs in order to the information needed for
booting and to leave them active.  One must lower GPOI27 before the CPU
temperature sensors will work.  I have written a crude little device
driver that does that, and now I can monitor the temperatures of my CPUs
using the ADM1021 driver.  The driver autodetects the Xeon temperature
sensors as ADM1023, and that seems to work.  It also works when you
force them to ADM1021 as recommended in the module documentation.

My xeons appear to be lightly used and well cooled.  They read 25 to 27
deg C, with one spike up to 30 deg C.  I wonder, though, why my other
temperature sensor reads 74 deg C.  That seems too hot.

--
Joe Konczal <joseph.konczal at nist.gov>