OT: Please. Can someone lock the mailing list to only accept mail from registered users

> > What I might do is split the lists:
> >
> > sensors-devel@
> > sensors-users@
>
> Is that really needed?  The traffic here is quite low, splitting the
> lists doesn't seem to make much sense.

I agree with Greg, I'm not sure it's necessary. Most (if not all)
subscribers are developers, so we don't have to hide from ourselves (if
I'm clear).

> Banning HTML mail takes care of 99% of the spam that tries to get
> through to the linux-usb-* mailing lists.  Sure, some of it slips
> through, but I never notice it, as my local spam filters pick them up
> usually :)

Sounds great. In this case, we should explicitly mention on the web page
that HTML mail will be rejected, or it's unfair to human posters. I know
nice people don't use HTML mail anyway (I am a nice guy! yeah! ;)) but
we shouldn't be too integrist with people that are just different.

Another thing I have been suggesting for years now (OK, it's exagerated,
say months) is to keep a single address for the mailing list. Having
lm78@ *and* sensors@ doesn't double the number of interesting e-mails we
receive, but it actually doubles the amount of spam.

> You might want to try that, it's a good first step, which also keeps
> the lists open for non-subscribers to post to (which is a good thing,
> considering that you have to ask someone before being able to join
> this list, which I think is a bit strange...)

Not that strange. Or, at least, not a problem IMHO. Only very few people
need to be there, and that's how we manage to keep the number of
subscribers low. Remember it isn't a "real" mailing list. Phil is
handling it by himself. We have been having severe issues with bouncing
mails some months ago, spam is a regular question also. So, I understand
that Phil doesn't want to have too many subscribers to handle on the
list.

Third possibility would be to moderate the posts for unsubscribed users.
Drawback is that a human intervention is needed, which means more work
for Phil (or someone else) and delayed answers since Phil (or anyone
else) is a busy man. We all are rather busy, isn't it? (And do you know
why? Because we are nice people. (TM)) This may also be technically
impossible due to the way our mailing list is handled. But that's just
an idea after all.

OK, that was just some morling thoughts. Comments welcome, I got to go
now.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/