From: Mark M. Hoffman [mailto:mhoffman at lightlink.com]
Sent: Saturday,28 September, 2002 23:14
To: Alexander van Kaam
Cc: Mark D. Studebaker; Sensors
Subject: Re: SiS

Hi Alex:

(cc'ed to MDS because for some reason, I'm having trouble w/ the list)

* Alexander van Kaam <a.vankaam at chello.nl> [2002-09-27 19:55:12 +0200]:

> the 0008 can be set to appear as 0018, it's in the datasheets (search for
> 0018 and you will find "Note: Write a 1 to Reg40 bit 6 will change the
> Device ID to 0018h.")
>
> Now please don't ask my why SiS will allow you to rename the 0008 to 0018,
> dunno, maybe board makers whan it that way ?  Asus A7S333 has the 0018 if
> case you need to find a board that has it.

Ok thanks... I haven't found anyone with SiS745 chipset yet; it's on the
"looking for testers" list though.

> the 0963 you can handle exactly as the 0961 smbus wise that is.  I have
not
> had a 0962 tester as of yet, if I do will let you know the board and stuff

Yes I suspect as much... but I won't add code until I find someone to step
up and test it.

> for that mather I handle the 0008, 0018, 0961 and 0963 the same way right
> now, enable the 0016 via reg 77.  To avoid giving the smbus the wrong name
> this way I just call it  SiS0016 via 0961 or however I got it.

Right now, our driver is called i2c-sis645... I would like to change the
name to i2c-sis0016 at some point.  I need some guidance from the project
maintainers for how to do that without messing up all our users.

> I would asume that the 0962 is identical in the above way but have not yet
> encountered it.
>
> I see how you determine the SiS smbus driver, as you said not a perfect
way
> and will to keep updated, shame SiS does not do a better job of Device
ID's
> or at least Revisions.
>
> a final question, on the intel,via,adm, after setting the start bit I
always
> check to see if the smbus starts/is working, on intel for example if bit 0
> of INTEL_SMBHSTSTS is high, however I have not find such a way on the SiS
so
> for now I just do a simple 1ms wait and then go into the check if ready
> loop..... have you found such a bit or are you also just putting a little
> rest and then go on ?

Can you not use SMB_CNT[HOST_BUSY] for this purpose?  In our case we just
sleep and then test SMB_STS against 0x0e in a loop.

> Thanks for the complimetens on MBM, sadly I never tried lm_sensors as I
> don't have linux, sorry :)

Yes, I do feel sad for you in that regard. ;)

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark M. Hoffman