but its stuck in some mail queue.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu

------------- Forwarded message follows -------------

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 04:24 pm, you wrote:
> In any case, this indicates that the problem I'm seeing is not
> in mondo, but is a bug either in i2c/lm_sensors or
> conceivably, at the bios or hardware level in the A7V266E
> motherboard. However I don't think it's hardware - motherboard
> monitor runs on these machines when they are booted to XP and
> I've not seen any oddball shutdowns under that OS.  In one
> instance there was an xlock authentication failure 4 seconds
> before fan1 read 0.0.  Other than that, there was nothing
> obvious to indicate a problem /var/log/messages.  Note though
> that xlock was running continuously most of this time (due to
> the idle console), and cycling through whichever programs it
> runs by default.  This is xlockmore -4.17.2.
>
> This presents somewhat of a problem since it means running
> mondo in a protective mode will trigger unwanted shutdowns
> at 1-2 hour intervals (more or less).  Unfortunately for this
> class of software 99.99% correct doesn't quite do it.
>
> Any suggestions?  This is with RH 7.3 and the current
> distribution of I2c/lm_sensors.  The device is
> as99127f-i2c-0-2d.

Hmmm...yup, as99127f support is listed as BETA in the docs.  We
have Asus to thank for that. =/  Perhaps Alex van Kaam
(Motherboard Monitor developer) could help us here; IIRC he's
contributed to lm_sensors in the past.

In the meantime...

After casting my marginally-experienced-kernel-hacker's eye over
the lm_sensors sources, I think I might have spotted a fix for
the fan issue.

The standard caveats apply; this patch may save your bacon, or it
may take you from the frying pan into the fire.  I will not be
responsible for any damage this does to your computer, your
health, your sanity, or any of your friends, family, neighbors,
or other possessions. ;)

All that being said, just cd to your lm_sensors source directory
and type "patch -p1 < /path/to/lm_sensors-2.6.4-asus.patch".
Then recompile and reinstall lm_sensors.

I haven't tried to fix the temp issue--yet.  It looks a little
more difficult, and that job's probably better suited to a
developer with appropriate hardware to test on.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"