Question ...

Almost every sensor chip has working alarm bits that _latch_ the alarm condition
until the register is read. This is much better than polling because an
intermittent condition will not be missed.
So I think the way we do it now is the best way.

It may be that you have found a bug, or perhaps something has already
been fixed (2.6.0 is one year old) - you can look at our
CHANGES document (linked on our download page) to see.

If you think you have an alarm bit that is not working then
it is probably a bug, or caused by missing documentation.
In that case, of course,
tell us what bit, what driver, what sensor, what chip.

mds