Thermal fan on PIIIDME

Dear Supermicro representative,

I have installed a thermal fan on my Supermicro
PIIIDME, but am not convinced that it is being
activated when the CPUs reach their threshold
temperature, as configured in the BIOS. Does the fan
need a driver for the operating system before it will
work? If so, then can you please provide me with
sufficient information about the motherboard to write
such a driver? I am running Linux 2.4.18, which
already provides a driver for the SMBus functionality
(should that be relevant).

Please note that I am *not* asking Supermicro to
provide a driver, should one be required. I am merely
asking for sufficient hardware specifications for the
PIIIDME to allow me to write me own driver, which I
would then be able to release freely to the Linux
community. For example, would the driver need to do
much more than write values to a particular port to
turn the fan on and off? If so then could you tell me
which values and which port, please?

Thank you,
Chris Rankin

(I don't think that Linux relies upon the BIOS to a
great extent, and so I doubt whether any thermal-fan
controlling code in the BIOS would have a chance to
run. Unless this functionality is handled using
hard-wired circuitry on the motherboard itself? I
really hve no idea, here. Can you advise, please?)

http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/author.html