no resolution for tickets 846 and 764 (Tyan S2688 & w83781d hard hang)

"init=0" disables almost every call to w83781d_write_value().
If you put the printk in that function you should be able to find it.

Less likely - that a read is causing the problem
(you could use the same technique to debug).

Or perhaps the module is probing some other device with bad results
(anything else on i2cdetect besides 2d, 48, 49? esp. in 0x20 - 0x2f?)

And you have verified by looking at the board that it's a w83781d?