I2C device identification

according to our documentation in doc/smbus-protocol in the i2c  project
there is no quick read, only quick write.
But there is a byte read.
I wonder why we do quick write instead of byte read.
Is it "safer"?
Is quick write what screws up thinkpads?
And of course eeproms are really i2c devices, not smbus...