I2C device identification

That's a tough question about which is safer or more reliable.  I
guess it depends on the cross-section of devices being probed.  I've
had a mobo a few years ago which would lock up the SMBus (not even the
reset button fixed the condition) if the device at 0x69 was sent a
quick-write.  It turned out to be a clocking chip which hung the bus
because it was anticipating more data following the quick-write and
didn't time out.

Some simple devices only respond to the quick-commands and switch
things on or off depending on it if got a quick-read or write.  In
that case, doing either quick command would cause a potential
state-change in the device instead of doing a non-intrusive probe.

Oh, lastly, I think all I2C/SMBus transations start with a quick-type
transaction.  So, if I have my head screwed on straight, it is
impossible to not detect a chip with a quick-read which supports, say,
a I2C Block-read.

Phil