Sensors programming

Hello!

I am working on a project where a company created an LCD panel that uses
i2c to work with.  I am curious where I can find resources on how to
program for i2c because I would like to work on creating an application to
use the LCD and buttons myself.  The issue is that the company that
designed it will not release the source code, so I do not have much to go
off of other than it is connected by 4 wires.  I have never done any
driver programming before, so this may be over my head, but I would like
to make an attempt so that at least I can say that I tried.

Any help or suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul